Painting the Portrait
What is it that gives a masterful oil painting its jewel-like quality, mysterious luster and lasting freshness? The extensive properties of oil paint have enabled the creation of iconic portraits that prove difficult to decipher. In this 3 hour video, Gustavo Ramos will walk you through his award-winning portrait method from the ground up.
By painting a self-portrait, Ramos will demonstrate his unique way of dissecting visual information into a rich and dynamic likeness. Watch over the artist's shoulder as he makes use of his sensitive color palette and particular brush-handling to lay thick impastos and translucent shadows. Lively discussions and meticulous breaking down of visual concepts will equip the beginner or advanced student with a newfound arsenal to create luminous professional portraits in a way that only oil painting at its highest level can achieve.
What you'll learn:
- Optimizing the qualities of opaque and translucent paint to enhance the illusion of space.
- How to apply rich impastos while maintaining delicacy of color and form.
- Interpreting the “broken color” of the flesh with a logical yet intuitive approach.
- A mentality of building layers even when painting Alla Prima.
- Dependable methods of mixing accurate skin tones.
- A mindful way of blending.
- In-depth discussions addressing various topics.
Language - English
Duration - 3h 5m
Aspect Ratio - 9:16
Media type - Streaming, not physical